NYFW Recap: Part 1

| comments

So far there have been some really stand-out shows at New York Fashion Week. NYFW is never really my favorite, but the designers that I do like have really wowed me this season. Even minimalists like Alexander Wang -and you know how I am hesitant to embrace minimalism- have produced excellent collections. Here are my favorites so far.


Catherine Malandrino
I love the rich hues and the strong silhouettes. Malandrino always gives off such cool girl vibes but this season especially is so fancy and sophisticated. Give me a shrunken varsity jacket and a pout to match and I'm hooked.
Giulietta
I was getting good vibes from this show. The red number on the left gave me Olivia Hussey as little orphan Annie vibes. The peach suit gave me 70s businesswoman vibes. The yellow dress is totally Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde. And the green dress is fifties prom queen. I love it all and hope Giulietta gets the recognition it deserves for an awesome show.

Jill Stuart
I like that there's something for everyone in this Jill Stuart collection. For the simple, relaxed girl you have a sweet peplum tee and trouser combo. For the romantic one there's a daring lace and pencil skirt look. For the mysterious girl there's a chocolate coat and maroon leather skirt. And for the girly-girl, there's a sweet cutout dress with floral print. 

Prabal Gurung
My, how things can change in a year. Last year I was raving about relatively under-the-radar designer Prabal Gurung and his red-filled fall 2011 collection. Now Prabal is the cool kid on the block with a cheerleader in Anna Wintour and every bright young thing lining up to get one of his designs. He went from the mean reds to the fighting blues and ended with gold gowns that only reminded me of the golden year he's had.

Wes Gordon
What I've enjoyed about NYFW thus far is that most of the shows have done a good job of staying away from all black. Instead designers -like Wes Gordon- have integrated rich fall hues into their collections. I love the deep crimsons, emerald greens, and gold flakes. And notice that the indecisive skirt is still going strong! The cuts of these clothes were beautiful.



Well, so far I've been pleasantly surprised by New York. Let's see what the rest of the week brings, shall we? What were your favorites so far?

(all images from style.com)
Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Fashion Barbie Copyright © 2011. Fashion Barbie - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger