The Best in NY

| comments

Can you believe New York Fashion Week has already come and gone? As usual there were some happy surprises and some over-hyped letdowns, so here's my recap of the best, the worst, and the all-out-wacky.

And, because I'm watching the Emmy's, this shall be done in the form of awards. Yay!

 The Coolest Girl in Town- Karen Walker
I've developed a big crush on Karen Walker's clothes. Every season I'm in awe of how cool they are. And I know, most people think leather jackets and pixie hair cuts when they think of cool, but I'm never going to have that much street cred. So thank you, Karen Walker, for bringing me a happy medium of kitschy prints and masculine cuts (and plenty of turban headbands!) and giving me, the girliest of girls, the chance to be, dare I say, cool.

Most Likely to Succeed on the Red Carpet- Marchesa
The Marchesa team is no stranger to the Red Carpet, but I think everyone will agree that each season the brand gets it right. They had some big expectations to live up to with their first runway show, but I think it's safe to say that they delivered. Georgina Chapman & Co. took advantage of their runway and showcased fabric that moves. The flapper-esque fringe dresses are sure to be a hit this awards season.

Most (Pleasantly) Surprising- Reed Krakoff
I know people have been raving about Reed Krakoff since his first show in 2010, but I've only just jumped on the bandwagon after seeing his spring presentation. The colors are quirky yet pleasing, the cuts minimal but incredibly flattering. I'm not the biggest proponent in minimalism, but Reed makes me a little more open to the idea that less really is more.

Most Likely to Fly Off the Shelves- Milly
As fun as couture gowns are, they just aren't all that practical. Sometimes it's nice to see clothes that are in a decent price range and can actually be worn. Enter Milly. For spring Michelle Smith focused on geometric prints and traditionally autumnal hues (pumpkin oranges and royal blues) and the product was a collection that I could see all sorts of women wearing, myself included. I'm already anxious for spring to come so I can pick up some Milly!

Best in Show- Prabal Gurung
I've been following Prabal Gurung for a while now and I'm so glad to see such success. With a CFDA Vogue Fashion Fund Award, a collaboration with J. Crew, and the hearts of Sarah Jessica Parker and Michelle Obama alike, it's certainly been a good year thus far for Prabal Gurung. Well, he can add the best show of New York to his list of positives. Every look was just so well done and interesting, something we don't see too often these days. I hope the rest of the world agrees that this is the show to beat.

(images from Style.com)
Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Fashion Barbie Copyright © 2011. Fashion Barbie - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger